Stay Connected With The Latest Posts

Stay Connected With The Latest Posts

DIY Abstract Art

The following post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.

I have been working on projects for the nursery little by little. We just got the trim work I talked about in the previous postpainted this weekend. That wall is a simple beauty. I wanted something to hang on there just above the crib. Everything I looked at was very pricey and not exactly what I was looking for. I finally decided to try my hand at abstract art. If I can do it, anybody can! I am not exaggerating that by any means. My artistic ability is zero. Even my handwriting resembles a preschool work of art. When I finished this piece, I just had to share.

I needed the art to be large and around 24″x36″. I also wanted the piece to be framed which meant canvas was out of the picture. I went to Hobby Lobby to see what I could find. I came across this large cardboard poster for $6.99. It was different than regular poster board because it didn’t have a sheen on either side. Both sides of the board were a flat cardboard paper feel. Brass is another color I wanted to incorporate to the nursery. I grabbed some gold leaf paper too, in hopes to add some flecks into my art.  I used a 40% off coupon and went straight home to give it a try. I had some flat acrylic paint on hand in various colors. I really only wanted white and shades of pink. I also had a set of paint brushes in various sizes. I had no idea if any of them were the “right” type to use. I decided to use what I had and just go for it.

I started by dropping blobs of paint spaced a few inches apart onto my cardboard sheet. I used white, light pink, pink, and really all shades of light pink. I even took some red and lightened it with some white to make my own pink. Once I had a bunch of blobs spaced out across my board, I took my brush and spread the paint out. I did not mix them all together. I let them meet up with each other without running into the other color. I added more blobs where it needed in various colors. There really is no science. Just get creative. Don’t worry if your board seems to get saturated and bubble in spots. It will dry fine and it will only add texture to the backdrop. I let my first round dry and came back later to give it another look. I added a few more touch ups where I thought it could use some color. You can not mess it up because it is supposed to be abstract. I then took my gold leaf paper and some glue to add touches of gold. I broke off small random sizes of gold leaf. I put my glue stick on the poster in a small area where I wanted the gold and then pressed it down. I probably could have kept adding and tweaking, but you really just have to step back and call it good at some point.

The tricky part is finding a decent affordable frame at a 24″x36″ size. IKEA to the rescue with a frame in white and black for $17.99. I may even paint the frame a brassy gold eventually. I will decide as the nursery comes together. I took my DIY abstract art and put it in the white frame for now. I think it turned out decent considering my art skills and the price.

SHAREShare on Facebook

Nursery Progress

The following post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.

I am in full nesting mode around here. I just want to get projects done and the house looking good. We have started to get ideas and things rolling in this baby girl nursery. I knew I wanted some kind of trim work on the wall. We actually had a Saturday that allowed us the time to get to Home Depot. We got the wood cut and off we went home to get started.

If you follow along on Instagram, then you know what happened to my cell phone. My phone decided to die without warning and I lost everything that was on it. I know it is partly my fault for not backing it up regularly. Trust me, I learned a hard lesson. I had some really cool before photos of the room on that phone. So, just imagine a boring wall with no trim. 🙂  I really wanted to do squares of board and batten. I found this picture by Melissa Sabra on Pinterest. However, when I started laying out all of our boards, it seemed too busy for the smaller sized room.

Mr. Whitelane and I decided to keep it simple and just install vertical planks. We used primed MDF board in 4″ width for our top header piece. All the vertical boards are 3.5″ primed MDF board that meet up to the existing baseboard. We measured out all of our wall before going to Home Depot. They did all these straight cuts for us free of charge. We did have to do some tweaking on a few vertical planks with our jigsaw when we got home. Ceilings are never perfectly level. Due to this, some of the vertical boards were too long. We just shaved some off with our jigsaw. I love our Ryobi Airstrike cordless nail gun. We were able to have the boards up in no time. They sat nailed up for a few days before I decided to get busy caulking and filling all the nail holes.

I like Alex Fast Dry Caulk for my projects. It goes on and drys in 20 to 30 minutes. Now the secret to the perfect caulk lines in this little tool. When Mr. Whitelane introduced me to this, it changed my DIY life. I caulked trim work in an entire basement with this tool. It sort of becomes therapeutic. This tool created perfect lines and makes the process so much quicker. After I applied the caulk, I then used Dry Dex Spackle to fill all the nail holes. After everything was dry, I came back to sand the nail hole spackling smooth. I used 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around a sanding block. It makes the sand paper easier to hold and gives more control. 

Now all that is left to do is paint. I said this was nursery progress, not a reveal. 🙂  Baby steps in this room for now. I hope to have it painted and more progress to share soon. I am currently stuck on the bedding fabrics too. So many shades of pink!

SHAREShare on Facebook